Instructions for contributors
The online Human Biology Review is an International Peer Reviewed Journal published quarterly during January, April, July and October every year. It is devoted to the broader theme of biological variations among human populations ultimately reflecting on their health. It focuses on research in all fields of biological anthropology including human genetics, human growth, body composition, biotechnological advances, human physique, demography, human origins and evolution, population variations, genomics, kinanthropometry, human ecology, human nutrition, health perspectives and all other related areas. The bodily adaptations made by different human populations to procreate and survive in different ecological situations are important in determining the future course of the human race.
The journal publishes original research papers, short reports, review papers, and case reports on specific research issues as well as book reviews, news and other scientific information. The authors are also welcome to share their exciting experiences of research and new innovations.
The Editorial Board
Eminent scientists from different fields of Human Biology from world over constitute the editorial board. It is earnestly hoped that the members of the editorial board will participate in the process of publication of the materials by reviewing the manuscripts and also by contributing their own research findings. Besides, they are also invited to give their suggestions to improve the quality of the journal.
The scientific colleagues all over the world including those from the editorial board are requested to participate in the peer review process of the papers to be published. Maintenance of a very high standard of the published papers will depend mainly on the efforts of the reviewers. Without the active support of the scientific community, the publication of the journal cannot be imagined.
Periodicity of the journal
Human Biology Review shall have four issues per year to be published in January, April, July and October every year. The four issues of the journal in a year will make one volume.
Books for Review
Publishers/authors desirous of getting a review of their books to be published in Human Biology Review should send by post two copies of the books at the following postal address:
Professor S. P. Singh, Ph.D., Department of Human Genetics
Punjabi University, Patiala 147002, India
Editor-in-Chief, Human Biology Review
Kindly submit all your communications in one file in the WORD format at the following website of the journal; http://www.HumanBiologyJournal.com. You may also submit your paper at the following email ID: email@example.com.
The manuscripts should be limited to 2 MB. Authors are advised to prepare their manuscripts as per the guidelines given here.
Materials for publication
The journal welcomes the publication of the following:
- Original Papers on Current and Ongoing Research
- Short Communications highlighting new findings
- Review Articles on important research issues
- Book Reviews
- News and Views
- Announcements of conferences and Professional Bodies
- Relevant and Interesting Information
- A research paper shall have the format which includes a Title Page, Introduction to the research problem, Review of the relevant Literature, Material and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusions, Acknowledgements, References, Appendixes.
- The title page should include the complete title of the paper, the names of all the authors, the authors’ institutional affiliation along with the address(s) and their email ID(s). A running header of the title of 50 characters, about 5-7 key words and an abstract of about 250 words should also be given.
All the quoted materials must be given in the list of references arranged alphabetically. The references should be written and checked methodically so as to include every small character such as comma, full stop and for maintaining a proper sequence of the materials.
The authors’ names followed by the year of publication, title of the paper, abbreviation of the journal, volume and pages should be given as follows. The surname of the authors should be followed by the initials of the first name and the middle names.
Hunley KL,Spence JE,Merriwether DA. 2008. The impact of group fissions on genetic structure in native South America and implications for human evolution. Am J Phys Anthropol135: 195-205.
Bogin B. 2001. The growth of humanity. Wiley-Liss, New York.
Chapter of a Book
Gruner O.1993. Identification of skulls: A historical review and practical applications. In: Iscan MY, Helmer RP, editors. Forensic analysis of the skull. Wiley-Liss, New York. p 29-45.
Abbreviations of a journal should be a standard one. You may get the help of Pubmed for finding the standard abbreviations of the journals.
Peer review of the manuscripts is an important process for maintaining the standard of the journal therefore the management of the journal welcomes the academic colleagues joining us as referees and appreciates the work they had done and would be doing.
The original papers, short communications and Review articles will be sent to two referees. Satisfactory and positive comments of the referees are required for the publication of the manuscripts.
The journal would strive hard to maintain a system of anonymous refereeing to evaluate the manuscripts.
Since the process of peer review is not possible without the help of the scientific fraternity, therefore, the help of the authors is solicited in this process. They are requested to suggest four or five referees for their work.
The scientists suggested by the authors should be from their broad fields of research that are well known in their subjects. It must be kept in mind that the suggested referees should be from any country. The only exception is that the authors should not suggest referees from their own institutions. Contact information about the referees which includes the email ID and institutional affiliation should be provided.
The authors are morally bound to help in keeping the review process unbiased and confidential. Therefore it is strongly advised that the authors themselves should not contact the suggested referees. The journal will choose any two referees out of the list and would contact them for the review process.
The authors shall be informed through email the status of their paper. After the review process, the authors shall be informed whether the paper has been accepted, rejected or sent for revision.
The accepted papers would be queued up for publication in the forthcoming issue(s).
Agreement by the contributors
The contributors should comply with the following conditions;
- It is understood that all submitted materials intended for publication have not been published earlier and have neither been sent for publication anywhere else.
- The corresponding author shall have to sign a declaration form on behalf of all the authors about the paper’s originality, that it has not been published elsewhere nor submitted anywhere, sequence of authorship, etc. Please download the Declaration Form.
- The authors agree to transfer the copyright of such material to the journal, after a decision has been taken to publish it.
- All the published materials would automatically become the copyright of the Human Biology Review journal. The authors are granted the right to re-publish all material that appeared in Human Biology Review journal by providing for the name and location of the original source on the internet (URL of HBR journal and URL of the original article in our journal).
- It is mandatory for the authors to obtain written permission of the publishers and the authors whose material has been used in the preparation of the manuscripts wherever required.
The authors will own the full responsibility of the contents of the submitted materials. The journal, the Editor-in-Chief, the members of the Editorial Board, the publishers and the management of the journal are not, in any way, responsible for the materials submitted to the journal and therefore dissociate from the statements, contents and the opinions expressed by the authors.Authors are strongly advised against any form of plagiarism. Plagiarized articles or papers will be immediately removed from the web site of the journal.
C) Ethical Clearance
In case of experimental studies on humans and animals, institutional ethical clearance is necessary. The authors are required to make a declaration regarding any such ethical clearance obtained from the competent authority and refer it in the paper.